Sunday, December 14, 2008

Angels & Elvis's

Isabelle decided the tree skirt would make a fabulous Cape.
As Ben got busy decorating the tree, I did not notice his plan of action until this was produced. Something in his head told him to put ALL the ornaments on one branch together in a very close knit group. Just keep adding! The more the merrier.
The Master so proud of his work.

Decorating moments and musings:
We decided to keep things simple this year. We have always bought a real tree. If we can we even go chop it down...well this year in the the theme of simple and saving money...we borrowed an artificial tree. Isabelle still can't understand why no water is needed in the stand. I knew going into the decorating situation with a 5 year old and a 2 year old, just to take it lightly...anything goes...enjoy the chaos of the moments, the excitements of the discoveries of Christmas pasts lurking in the carefully, dusty packed boxes. Nutcrackers, Bows and Candy Canes flying about merged with Santa's and Snowmen of plenty...the decorating begins. Sure, we have had more brilliant trees in the past, and fancier displays of the holiday scene, but this year...is : anything goes, whatever will be - will be and that is fine and that is more than enough. The letting go of control of the situation...not easy, but very possible. Sure a box of ornaments went flying off the table as a little boy dropped (pushed) it...some glass was broken, but we (I) clean up the wreckage and move on...we carry on with what we have to the best of our abilities. (I was smart this year, not to get out the giant candy canes that the kids like to hit each other with, of course Isabelle asked where they were and I told her " I don't know, I'll have to look into that and get back to you"). We still have a lot of decorating to accomplish (hopefully today) as the task at hand was exhausting with these two little adorable rug rats undoing everything that was done....but it feels good to have our Christmas Warmth out. The items that bring memories and moments of holiday joy. I think the children really enjoyed seeing and looking through our collection of Christmas books the most. My favorite part was discovering the little mementos and ornaments of past years...remembering where they come from and what they mean. I loved finding the homemade ornaments that Isabelle has made. Some special ornaments of my childhood even remain. As I decorated the tree this yesterday, I noticed there are quite a few Angels and Elvis's. Honestly, I believe that you can never have enough Angels and Elvis's on your tree.

No comments: