Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Leaves and Bees

October gave a party.  The leaves by hundreds came - The Chestnuts, Oaks and Maples, and leaves of every name.  The sunshine spread a carpet, and everything was grand, Miss Weather led the dancing, Professor Wind, the band. - George Cooper (October's Party).
You just never know what you may come across walking about the house.
Finally!  Fall Honey Extraction.  We are hoping by the next batch, that we can start selling it!  How fun.  (this process does get extremely messy/sticky by the way....but it sure is sweet).
It is very difficult to get the kids out of our bed these days.  It has become "the hangout" for comfort and reading on these chilly nights.
Noah (with a bow and arrow), shot one of these yesterday.  I have pics just haven't loaded them yet.  The kids were so excited and watched the entire process of  "field dressing", prep , etc... They were not sad or grossed out in anyway.  I was a bit sad, although of course, I know it's the circle of life and such....Just wonder if the turkey's will make their way back to our yard again, or if they will choose to avoid.   So weird: one moment the bird is in my backyard, now its in my fridge in a pot of water.
The puppies are growing so fast.  They are doing great at training.  This is Rose.  She is proving to be the more feisty of the two.  But, she loves to snuggle.  Scout loves to play!!  He especially loves to play: take something away from Rose...and run!  I enjoy watching and being with the kids and the dogs out in the yard, playing free and crazy....fresh air, beautiful earth.  School is going well for the most part these days.  I think we have some of our challenges worked out and are getting into somewhat of a routine.  This week, I had a wonderful visit with one of my homeschooling friends.  She is a blessing and I admire her greatly - she inspires me in many ways.   Well, we have 2 of our 5 family members Halloween costumes decided on and purchased.  Just trying to decide the final 3.  Keep going back and forth with a few scenarios.
 Also recently, Uncle Al came for a visit on his Harley!  We also just learned that his dog, Huntley got a part in an upcoming episode of the t.v. show:  Chicago Fire.  I have been cooking like crazy lately, trying all different recipes.  I made a great Paleo Pumpkin Pie that the family loved!  Some other recent new paleo meals were: stuffed cabbage, pork apple sliders, pumpkin custard, grain free granola, bacon wrapped chicken thighs and others I cannot think of at the moment...but by far one of the favorite new recipes that is requested quite often is: Pumpkin Pancakes.  I found these really cute ramekins to use for all the custards and such.  Also, soon I will be trying a chicken pot pie which I thought those dishes would be perfect for.  I am so thankful to have a dishwasher nowadays.  The cub scout is still selling popcorn.  Ben will soon be contacting those who said they wanted to order to tell them what he's got to offer!  (sorry we have been sluggish about doing this).  Guess, I should go do something....what I do not know.  Maybe make a grocery list...or take a shower before the troops are up...uh oh, too late.

No comments: